The Krishi Vigyan Kendra is a district level farm science center established by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi at Barmer district of Rajasthan for speedy transfer of technology to the farmers’ fields. Administrative control by Society To Uplift Rural Economy (SURE), Barmer. The operational area of this KVK comes under the western arid zone of Rajasthan. The aim of KVK Barmer is to reduce the time lag between generation of technology at the research institutions and its transfer to the farmer's field for increasing production, productivity and income from the agriculture and allied sectors on a sustained basis. In order to achieve this goal, four mandates have been envisaged in the design of the KVK Barmer.
- Conducting “On Farm Testing” for identifying, refining & documenting technologies for developing location specific sustainable land use systems.
- Organize training to update extension personnel with emerging advances in agricultural research on regular basis.
- Organize short & long term vocational training courses in agriculture and allied vocations for the farmers, farm-women & rural youth with emphasis on “learning by doing” for generating self-employment.
- Organize front-line demonstrations on various crops to generate production data and feed-back information.
KVK's Thrust Areas
- Sustainable crop production in recurring drought condition increase productivity of the crop.
- Popularization of sprinkler and drip Irrigation system.
- Popularization and establishment and arid fruit orchards.
- Popularization of feeding technology of animals during drought and scarcity condition.
- Management of saline sodic water and drinking water.
- Empowering farm women through non-farm activities.
- Post-harvest technology and value addition to primary products.
- Popularization of fodder and medicinal crops.